Saturday, August 8, 2009

Goran Bregović - Underground OST (1995)

Here is the soundtrack to one of my favorite movies. Periodically, I try to get into "film" or whatever, and I watch a lot of movies from my Netflix queue. Invariably, I find myself quickly losing patience with each movie I watch, and, as such, losing patience with "film" as a whole. It turns out that I am not well-wired for sitting passively taking in information. Anyway, Underground is one of the few movies that really struck a chord with me, in that I didn't at all feel like "why the fuck am I watching this I should really be doing something else." Not only that, but it nailed my skewed worldview, in which I find things that are not funny to anyone else beyond hilarious. Social tics and absurdist humor abound; if you ever want to know what kind of bizarro filter through which I view my interactions with other humans, Underground is a great place to start looking.

I feel associations with my memories of the film when I listen to this, which is how I think many people process music: in relation to significant memories in their lives. Usually, music is a very abstract "music for music's" sake with me, but, in this case, something is different, and the music is unequivocally tied to plotlines and scenes and characters. I am becoming a real boy after all.

I don't know a goddamn thing about Balkan brass music, but this shit is completely chaotic and awesome. A real sensory overload of nonsensical social dynamics, plotting, and deception. You're really gonna want to give this a try.

4 comments:

Pat said...

This movie is fucking insane. I hope my journey ends with a party and the formation of a new continent.

Todd said...

I talked with a cab driver about one of dude's other movies, but I can't find it in America. Oh well.

Rich said...

I'm the same way with movies. They just don't engage my imagination the same as music does. Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_media#Understanding_Media_.281964.29

Todd said...

Although I've been doing pretty well with movies recently by pairing them with stretching. Two things that are too boring to do on their own, but function quite well as a unit.